The aim of the Nesting Local History Group [NLHG] is to collect, collate, conserve, record and research the history of the parish of Nesting and to share with the public in order to promote interest in local history.
The NLHG was formed in 1994, initially without premises. Later it rented da Aald Skül from Shetland Islands Council (very fitting to be housed in a historic building), and it is looking forward to returning to the newly-refurbished Aald Skül under the Community Development Company of Nesting.
Over the years, research topics include:
- Nesting schools and education
- Nesting weddings
- Sons and daughters of Nesting
- Nesting & Girlsta Up-Helly-Aa from 1961
- World War One and Catfirth Air Station
We have a large collection of photos (>1,000) relating to Nesting and its residents, and have been making a concerted effort to scan them and to identify individuals featured in the photos
We meet monthly from October to April inclusive; the AGM is held in October. Visitors from Nesting and further afield are always welcome to our meetings.
- We enjoy hosting visiting speakers to which the wider public is always invited and we try to invite around three guest speakers a winter session.
- We visit other history groups when mutually convenient for the exchange of ideas and practices
- We particularly encourage the participation of the young as our future rests with them
Become a Member
Anyone wishing to become a member or seeking more information please contact Jennie Bradley (Chairman) on 01595 890 342 or email@example.com